Our latest playtest – 30th Oct

We met today for our last playtest in October. Brian (a Cube staff member) told us that the equipment stopped working yesterday. But after working on it all day and night, it was is fine today. Except for one thing. Sound has started crackling and popping, and isn’t even playing in some of the areas. So the team are working on that. But as a back-up I’ve arranged for us to use another zone which has the same setup as ours. That way we can still go ahead with our audio testing schedule too.

One thing I noticed with this build is that Destructo looks the right size for the environment now. We’ve been tweaking the positioning of Destructo and the environment around it for a few weeks now. Today Destructo does look as if the size and position match. I realise now, though, that if we had designed a giant robot with smaller arms then we wouldn’t have needed to give the sense of distance as much. One of the problems has been that the long arms raise up towards the visitor. So there needs to be enough space for that movement. If the robot was build differently, then it could be closer to the visitor. But at the same time, if the robot was built differently then it would be harder to do a good pull-back weapon-firing sequence.

RobotUni_Test_301013_middle

Continue reading

It’s Alive

Hi, my name is Paul. I am responsible for the robot models and animation during the Robot Uni Project. I am lucky enough to be working with a group of talented folks. I have mostly been going back and forth with Simon. He has been working on the robot designs and helping me translate them into 3d models. I think we are at a good place with the Destructo model for now. Here is a quick comparison image of where we are with the model so far.

Destructo_Comparison Continue reading